The FINE PRINT and LEGAL GARBLEDEGOOK
What is an eligible product?
Your product/s must be physically manufactured within a 20 km radius of Airdrie. If you only did the design and had it produced elsewhere it does not qualify.
The ingredients or materials your product is made from do not need to all be made in Airdrie for it to be eligible, however the final production — for example putting the pieces of jewellery together or producing the food item — does have to be done in the Airdrie area for the product to be eligible for the Made in Airdrie Awards.
Each entry is for a specific product or a related group of products, not for a company. An example of a related group of products would be a jewelry collection, products of the same type in different colours, or various flavours of the same product. If you have multiple unrelated products you can enter them each separately.
Can I enter more than once?
Yes. Every different product is a new entry.
Judging Process: All entries in the Airdrie Made Awards will first be judged by the editorial staff of airdrielife and the management of Westmark Holdings (Cooper’s Crossing), who will shortlist candidates for each category. The shortlist will be judged by a panel that will include industry experts and will select the category winner and runners up. The winner of each category will then be judged for the 2019 AIRDRIE MADE OVERALL AWARD WINNER.
- The competition runs from noon August 15 2019, to Sept 30, 2019. All entries must be submitted electronically. No entries will be accepted before or after the dates. We reserve the right to disqualify any entry that does not meet the qualifications or is submitted incomplete.
- General. All entries become the permanent property of the Contest Sponsor. Entrants may be contacted occasionally by the Contest Sponsor via email, unless the entrant notifies the Contest Sponsor otherwise, for the purpose of informing the entrant of further promotional opportunities. This Contest is subject to all applicable federal, provincial and municipal laws and is void where prohibited.
Prizes. One overall grand prize winner, one winner per category will be selected and featured in airdrielife both online and in print in a 2020 issue. Winners will be notified in late January 2020. The winners of each category will receive a ¼-page advertorial in a 2020 issue of airdrielife magazine and bragging rights for the full year. The overall winner will receive a full-page advertorial.
- Eligibility To be eligible to participate in the Made in Airdrie Awards, you must be at least 18 years of age (with the exception of the Future Maker’s Award) at the start of the Competition Period (August 15, 2019), you must be a maker resident or a business based within a 20 km radius of Airdrie. The product you are entering must be manufactured within the 20 km radius of Airdrie, must be available for retail purchase in the province of Alberta, must be able to be shipped to any location in Alberta, and must fit into one of the following six categories:
Taste – all edible food-related products, beverages (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) that are packaged and available for retail sale. This is not open to restaurant dishes.
Fashion – any fashion related product, from head to toe, including accessories for men, women and/or children.
Home – any product for the home (inside and out) from furnishings to textiles, decorative hardware etc.
Craft – a quality product with a focus on craftsmanship ie pottery, stained glass, woodwork etc.
Beauty/Wellness – any product for personal grooming or a product that promotes healthy living.
Leisure– sporting/outdoor equipment, games, toys and pet related products.
Future Makers Award – a non-entry fee category for youth under 16 years of age who (with minimal adult supervision) create products for sale and/or fundraising.
airdrielife may move an entry into a category it deems to be more suitable for the product/s. The product/s must be your sole creative work and must not incorporate ideas or the work of any other person or material that would require the consent of a third party. The product/s must not infringe or violate any trademark, copyright, publicity right, privacy or any other right of any other person or entity under any applicable law.
Employees and their immediate families (as well as persons with whom they are domiciled) of airdrielife and/or Westmark Holdings are not eligible to enter the Competition.
- Photos. Photos may be submitted in the following file formats: JPG, GIF. By submitting the photos you confirm that you have the right to provide these photos to the Made in Airdrie Awards and the Award Sponsors and further that you extend to the Sponsors the right to publish the photos in any medium. The Photos must not infringe or violate any copyright or other right. By submitting an entry, you agree that the Sponsor may use your photos and any portion of your entry on the site, in airdrielife magazine or any of its associated digital properties.
- Photo Restrictions.Neither the Photos nor the Product Entered in the Competition may contain, as determined by the Sponsor at their sole discretion, any content that: is sexually suggestive or explicit; is violent or derogatory of any racial, gender, sexual, religious, professional, or age group; is profane or pornographic, contains nudity; promotes illegal drugs or substances; is obscene; promotes, professes or endorses hate of any group; defames, misrepresents or contains disparaging remarks about any group, company or product, including the Sponsor and its products; contains trademarks or trade dress owned by any entity other than yourself; contains copyrighted material (including photographs and works of art) owned by any entity other than yourself; advertises or promotes any brand or product other than your own Product; contains any personal identification, such as personal names, street or email addresses or phone numbers, other than your own; violates or encourages the violation of any law, rule or regulation; promotes any political party, agenda or message; communicates messages or intents inconsistent with the goodwill and positive image that the Sponsor wishes to be associated with; Any Entry that includes any Photo that is deemed to contain any of the above will be considered void.
- Judging. A first round of judging will be completed by the editorial staff of airdrielife and management of Westmark Holdings to create a short list of entries that will be sent to the category judges. The category judges will select the winner and runners up for their category on the basis of craftsmanship, design, quality, innovation and originality of the entries. The judges may at their discretion opt to not award any winners in a category. Each Category Winner will continue to the third round of judging to select the Overall Winner. The decisions of the Judges are final and non-appealable.
- Readers’ Choice. A Cooper’s Choice Winner may be selected through an online and/or onsite vote to take place between November 1 2019 and January 15 2020.
- Winner verification and notification. Winners will be notified via email at the address listed in their entry or by telephone. If the Sponsor is unable to contact any potential winner within a reasonable amount of time, they may be disqualified. If a potential winner is disqualified, another winner will be selected by the publisher. The potential winner must provide evidence of eligibility as requested by airdrielife, including proof of age and residence upon notification as a potential winner. Upon notification and acceptance each potential winner must sign an affidavit of eligibility and release of Sponsor from any and all liability, loss, claims, demands and causes of action for personal injury, damage, theft, loss or any other harm suffered in connection with this Competition, directly or indirectly from acceptance, possession or misuse of any Prize or participation in the Competition.
- Ownership and Other Rights.By entering this Competition, you agree that Sponsor will solely and exclusively own all right, title and interest in and to the Competition Materials (as defined below), including without limitation all intellectual property rights to the Competition Materials. “Competition Materials” include, to the extent applicable (1) any information and material, including the Photos submitted by you in connection with the Competition; and (2) subject to your rights in your personal data, the Entry Form and any other forms, documentation or releases required to be submitted by you for the Competition, whether submitted to Sponsor prior to or after the judging process. For purpose of clarity regarding the ownership of the Competition Materials, this Section is in regards to the submission of the Competition Materials about the Product and does not grant any ownership rights to Sponsor to the Product itself. You shall and hereby do irrevocably assign, convey, and transfer to Sponsor all right, title, and interest throughout the universe in perpetuity in and to such Competition Materials, without any obligation to pay additional consideration for the use or exploitation thereof. You will not retain any right, title or interest whatsoever in the Competition Materials, including, without limitation, a “license back,” rights of attribution; claims based on “moral rights” and similar theories; and liens, encumbrances and the like. You hereby irrevocably waive any claims based on the foregoing. You shall not assert, nor assist or authorize any third party in asserting, any claim inconsistent with this paragraph or the following paragraph. Sponsor shall have the right, in its sole discretion, to edit, modify, composite, scan, duplicate, or alter the Photos, in whole or in part, for any purpose which it deems necessary or desirable, without the need for any further remuneration and/or permission. You hereby irrevocably waive any and all claims based on moral rights, droit moral or similar theories in any Photo. You will take all further acts necessary to effectuate the intent of these Rules, including, without limitation, executing and delivering to Sponsor, all such agreements, contracts and any other documents to confirm Sponsor’s ownership of the Competition Materials. To the extent that You own (presently or in the future) any intellectual property rights that were not created in connection with the Competition Materials, but that may be necessary for Sponsor’s exercise of the rights assigned to it above (“Related Rights”), You agree to and do hereby grant to Sponsor, or will cause to be granted to Sponsor, at your cost and expense, a worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sub-licensable right and license to use, copy, manufacture, distribute, translate, perform, modify, display, transmit, create derivative works of, make, have made, offer to sell, sell, import, and otherwise exploit any such Related Rights to the extent necessary to enable Sponsor to exercise all rights assigned to Sponsor under these Rules. Notwithstanding such ownership by Sponsor of all such rights, You expressly agree and acknowledge that Sponsor Entities shall not be responsible in any manner for any use of the Photos or the Product by any third parties and shall be under no obligation to protect or enforce any such rights in the Photos or Product.
- Prize Terms.All costs and expenses not specifically listed above, including, without limitation, travel and taxes incurred in connection with redemption of the Prize are each winner’s responsibility. The Sponsor shall have no obligation or responsibility to any winner who is unable to accept the Prize.
- Disqualification. If you fail to comply with any of the Rules, the Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, disqualify you and your entry. In addition, the Sponsor may disqualify you if you are suspected of tampering with the entry process, acting in a disruptive manner or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person, or if you have provided inaccurate or misleading information in your Entry.
- Media Opportunities. By entering this Competition, you acknowledge that you are ready, able and willing to partake in media opportunities (including but not limited to interviews, photos, sound bites, video footage, and the sharing of the information in your entry form with third parties participating in such media opportunities) as required by Sponsor in connection with the Competition. The Overall Winner will be required to complete other forms and releases as set forth below.
- General Terms. Sponsor is not responsible for anything outside of its reasonable control. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for incorrect or inaccurate Entry information whether caused by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this Competition or by any human error which may occur in the processing of the Entries in this Competition. Sponsor is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any email or servers on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website, or any combination thereof, or any incomplete, lost, late, delayed, misdirected or garbled Entries or failure to receive Entries, including, without limitation, any injury or damage to your or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials or software or attempts to participate in or download materials or software related to this Competition. Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of Competition, administration of the Competition, or in the announcement of the Prize and the Overall Grand Prize Winner, First Place Winners and Runners-Up.
CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE COMPETITION IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
- Indemnification. (a) By entering, you agree to defend (at Sponsor’s option), hold harmless and indemnify Sponsor and Sponsor Entities from and against any and all liability, damages or causes of action (however named or described), with respect to or arising out of either (i) your participation in the Competition, including, without limitation, the breach or violation of your representations and warranties concerning your Product and Photos; and/or (ii) the receipt, redemption or use of the Prize awarded in the Competition. You agree to release all rights to bring any claim, action or proceeding against Sponsor or Sponsor Entities, further covenant not to sue Sponsor or Sponsor Entities and hereby acknowledge that none of Sponsor or any Sponsor Entity has made or is in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to the Prize, (b) Indemnification Procedure. You shall have the right to: (i) employ attorneys to institute or defend any claim, which attorneys must be reasonably acceptable to Sponsor, (ii) take any other reasonably appropriate steps to protect all rights and interests at issue, or (iii) settle, compromise in good faith or in any other manner dispose of any claim and satisfy any judgment that may be rendered, except that no compromise, settlement or disposition of any such claim may be affected or committed by you without the consent of Sponsor, which consent may not be unreasonably withheld or delayed. Sponsor shall have the right to participate in the defense of any claim. If a conflict of interest arises or exists between you and Sponsor, Sponsor shall have the right to retain separate counsel to represent its interests at the sole cost and expense of you.