The Importance of Home Decor – I’m serious!
I’ve always loved decorating. When I was younger I would beg to do the Christmas decorating myself because I had an inspiration that I was excited to see come to life! I’ve never lost that passion for making spaces beautiful, livable and inviting.
Often people will say that decorating is not their ‘thing’ and that’s OK, but I still think trying to create a house that feels like your home is important. Here’s why:
- We are all really busy people. We always seem to be running from one thing to the next. When you finally get to be at home for an evening or a weekend, you’re relaxing, socializing with neighbours and spending time with your family. I think it’s much more enjoyable to do that in a space that is well thought out and feels like you.
- When we create and execute a decor plan, no matter how simple, it shows pride of ownership. This includes renters, too.
- It’s inspiring to exist in a space that you’ve put your touches on and makes you feel content. Great things happen when you feel inspired and at ease.
- Let’s face it – our varied Canadian weather offers a lot of indoor time!
I know, some of you are thinking: “That’s easy for you to say, being a designer.” But I’m not saying that making your house magazine-worthy is necessarily the goal. It’s about creating a space that makes you happy and feels like you. It’s also true that decorating is not a project some people want to take on, and then they call the designer – this makes me happy, too!
Ready to tackle your house one room at a time? Ask yourself three simple questions:
- What do I use this room for?
- What colour scheme will suit the mood that I want to be in, in this room?
- What kind of budget do I want to stick to?
Once you know the answers to those questions you can piece together a great plan and tackle it one step at a time. Remember, the goal isn’t to make your home look like someone else’s, it’s to make it feel like a space that reflects you and helps you enjoy life.
Decorator Kim Purvis, owner of Aurora Decor, is pursuing her lifelong passion of creating beautiful home spaces.